Watching The Oscars is so much more fun if you turn it into a Viewing Party!
This weekend, Mike and I did just that—throwing a small Oscars Viewing Party with some friends, complete with “red carpet”, popcorn and paparazzi! ;)
We watched the 4-hour show on TELUS Optik TV (I’m a new member of #TeamTELUS! More on that in a later blog post), and honestly, felt like the night flew by as we took red carpet photos, checked our ballots, and played Oscars bingo!
I got some great Hollywood-themed props from Party City (what CAN’T you get from Party City?!) including a movie clapper, cups, hanging camera, reel and star decor, and of course the red carpet photo wall!
During commercials we rewound to watch Wonder Woman fan girl over Luke Skywalker (so cute!) and hear Emma Stone call out the female director of the Best Director category (awkward). We also needed to rewind to check if winner Guillermo del Toro cried during his speech (it was a bingo slot) before jumping back to the live broadcast.
My tips for throwing an Oscars Viewing Party:
- Encourage guests to glam up! It really adds to the vibe of the party.
- Get a red carpet or some kind of sparkling photo backdrop!
- Print ballots and bingo cards and play along— it honestly makes the time fly.
- You could also make your own ballots to assign higher point values to the bigger categories, that makes the tally up at the end a bit more interesting.
- Get guests to arrive an hour before the show so you can catch the red carpet, settle in with snacks, and have time to make your picks!
- Don’t worry if you haven’t seen any of the movies (though it helps), part of the fun is in the guessing, but if you want to make some more informed decisions, use the On Demand button on TELUS Optik TV to find a temporary folder called Award Nominees where they’ve compiled all the nominated films for easy access!
- Watch in HD with TELUS Optik TV! This also made it easy for us to hop back and forth to rewatch key moments of the live show, but you could also catch moments On Demand after the fact too.
Apparently the vast majority thought this year’s Oscars was pretty boring but I actually thought it was one of the most fun I’ve watched in years and that’s largely because of the party we threw!
Disclaimer: I will always provide my 100% honest opinion on this blog. This blog was posted as part of my #TeamTELUS brand ambassador partnership. I’m a proud member of #TeamTELUS! This has no impact on opinions stated in this post.