The Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival is one of Alberta’s biggest food and drink festivals!
Since 1998, the Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival (RMWFF) has run in both Edmonton and Calgary each year, attracting more than 25,000 people to savour some of the world’s flavours (wines, spirits, beers, delicious bites) from hundreds of exhibitors including local restaurants.
And this year (2023), KLM Royal Dutch Airlines joined the Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival as the Official Travel Sponsor, creating an event passport that added a layer of interactive fun to the event—encouraging participants to visit booths related to KLM flight destinations!
I partnered with KLM to highlight the event passport and how easy it is to get to Europe from Edmonton! This post recaps my experience at the Nov 2023 Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival.
Did you know:
- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines is the oldest operating airline in the world.
- KLM offers direct flights between Edmonton and Amsterdam.
- From its Amsterdam Schiphol hub, travellers can access 160+ destinations in the world!
- KLM was the Official Travel Partner of the Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival in 2023.
At the Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival, we “checked in” to the KLM booth to get ready for our departure using the festival passport (so cute!) The passport (which was made of seed paper that you can take home with you after the event to plant!) had five questions listed—riddles about countries representing KLM travel destinations and vendor booths at the festival.
Did you know: KLM offers direct service to Amsterdam from 5 Canadian cities: Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton & Vancouver.
Our KLM Taste the True Flavours of the World Passport Questions and Answers were:
- King’s Day is a national holiday in the Kingdom of: The Netherlands!
- Associated festival vendor / food: Gia’s Deli and Catering – Cheese Platter / Pretzel Bites
- In the 15th century, charcuterie originated in France!
- Associated festival vendor / food: Box’d – Gourmet Cheddar Cheese / Charcuterie
- Kulfi is a frozen dairy dessert often described as “traditional ice cream” from: India!
- Associated festival vendor / food: Sunterra Market / Pork Momos
- Salumi, salami, and salsiccia, are the three categories of “Salumi” which originates from: Italy!
- Associated festival vendor / food: The Old School Cheesery / Gourmet Cheeses
- Canada is the world’s largest exporter of maple products.
- Associated festival vendor / food: The Mash / Pizza with locally-harvested grain
You can travel to these five destinations (and more—160+!) from KLM’s hub in Amsterdam (which flies direct from Edmonton or Calgary).
From the Amsterdam hub, easily access places like Rome, Athens, Barcelona, Venice, Budapest, Lisbon, Prague, Bucharest, London, Lagos, Nairobi, Johannesburg, Cape Town and Delhi!
Eating my way through a place is one of my favourite ways and reasons to travel so KLM’s The True Flavours of the World campaign highlighting food lover destinations is obviously right up my alley!
I have also been to Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival in the past and thought the KLM passport added such a fun and interactive way to ‘do’ the event that I hope they do it again in future years! Drinking + eating with a mission! Learning fun facts about destinations you plan to visit! All the lovely wine & food vibes and of course supporting local eateries at the event!
Other great bites we had at the Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival:
- Pork belly bao from NAIT Culinary Arts & Hospitality (Olympic Team!)
- Soft serve ice cream on cinnamon bun from the Edmonton Convention Centre.
- Pasta (out of a cheese wheel!) from Sunterra Market.
- Japanese cheese tarts from Pablo Cheese Tarts.
- Chocolate mousse from (okay I forgot where because it was given to us while we were watching a chocolate-making demonstration on the KLM Main Stage lol but it was good!)
- Plus: Puppy Pies from Hathaway’s Diner that I took home for my pups!
Plus white wines, red wines, whiskeys, mead, tequila and more!
We had VIP tickets which includes a bunch of complimentary wine, expedited access and free coat check. Additional sampling tickets can be purchased to enjoy as many booths as you want!
The Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival has such a great vibe!!!
Everyone is so nice!!! They’re there for a good time. There to try some drinks they’ve never tried before. There to eat some good food. There to enter to win a round trip flight for two to Europe though KLM! (you get to do that after completing your festival passport! Really great event perk).
Thanks to KLM for adding such a fun layer to the festival with your True Flavours of the World event passport—and for working with me! As always, opinions shared are entirely my own and my partnership with KLM does not affect the details stated in this post. This was the most fun I’ve had at a Rocky Mountain Wine & Food Festival and it was because of the interactive passport! I also think KLM giving people a chance to enter to win a free round-trip flight to Europe is pretty sweet and hard to beat as far as event prizes go, don’t you think?
Thanks to everyone who said hello at the event as well!! Hope to see you at next year’s RMWFF!
- Follow @lindork on Twitter
- Follow @lindork on Instagram
- Like Lindork – Linda Hoang on Facebook
- Follow @lindork on TikTok
- Subscribe to my YouTube Channel
If you live or work in the Edmonton, Alberta area, or care about Edmonton content, sign up for my hyperlocal newsletter to get weekly recommendations on things to do, eat, and know this week (in the Edmonton area), plus more exclusive content. You can sign up for a free or paid subscription.
(You’ll get the option to select free or paid after you enter your email).