Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each Sunday for what I hope to be an informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Twitter’s redesigned itself – putting the reply, retweet, and favourite buttons directly into the feed, and inserting image and Vine previews directly into your scrolling experience. Me likey for the most part – some images I don’t care to see.
- My Facebook feed was riddled with giraffe images last week, was yours? It was all because of a riddle going viral on the social network.
- The garage where Steve Jobs started Apple has been designated as a historic site.
- Airline safety videos don’t need to be boring – Virgin America proved that with its new sassy, fun safety video. So catchy and great choreography!
- Changing your Twitter display name to something spooky for Halloween was all the rage last week! I didn’t end up changing mine but if I had I think it would have been Lifeless Linda. ;)
- There are some pretty interesting Google Streetviews out there and you can add this one to the list: Jesus and Virgin Mary spotted on Streetview, hovering over A5 highway near Walensee, Switzerland! Lol.
- Check out this infographic on The Facebook News Experience.
- I am probably late to the party but I was just introduced to the amazing Pentatonix on YouTube last week thanks to this tweet from YouTube itself. Also, Beyonce has had some amazing songs!
- This ‘241 Moments in Alberta’ commercial is pretty awesome. Incorporates fantastic images of our province posted on Instagram by Albertans.
- Apparently Selfies at Funerals and Selfies at Serious Places is a thing. What is wrong with society… Though this column has some interesting points on why these kinds of photos are okay.
- Google+ has over 300 million active users and its Senior VP of Engineering is making it sound like the network is flourishing, but is it? I am still not a Google+-er. Though I have it.
- Google+ has also expanded to allow for custom URLs which is way better than the profile links before! Find me at plus.google.com/+LindaHoang.
- The first-ever YouTube Music Awards is tonight! I’m surprised it took this long for a YTMA! More on the winners in next week’s round-up.
- What do you think of Instagram’s first ad? I think it’s pretty. And would honestly just scroll right past it in my feed. Everyone else may be overreacting. Just keep on scrolling!
- Hm. Facebook wants to watch your cursor movements. Oh, Facebook.
- An interesting read – has social media made high school reunions obsolete?
- Did you miss my Social Media Spotlight on Vintage Edmonton? Give it a read!
- Check out this week’s adorable Cat Saturday photos.
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!