Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& sometimes tech) news. Come back weekly for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- The 3rd Annual Edmonton International Cat Festival is THIS WEEK! It takes place Saturday, May 28, and is the only event of its kind in Canada, donating 100% of proceeds to local cat rescues (this year donations will support the Edmonton Humane Society, Little Cats Lost, and Zoe’s Animal Rescue!) Pre-purr-chase your tickets here! (At the door, it’s $20 per person – kids 12 and under are free).
- Social media has made us more socially conscious, but it has also made it easy to be an ‘activist.’ An interesting read on the rise of ‘slacktivism.’
- The Internet will be seeing more of Reddit – they’ve made it easier to embed posts into blogs/articles.
- An explanation of some love for Snapchat: “Snapchat isn’t the place where you go to be pretty. It’s the place where you go to be yourself.”
- A look at 5 startups reaping the benefits of Snapchat and tips on how brands can ‘do’ Snapchat well.
- A Snapchat influencer shares some perspective on what it’s like to work with brands.
- Apparently Snapchat is developing an algorithm (like Facebook’s news feed), a way to make the platform more attractive for brands.
- Also, a look at how much money brands are paying to partner with Snapchat (a lot).
- 85% of Facebook video is being watched without sound – resulting in a lot of the same kind of videos.
- Here are 44 stats about Twitter including 83% of the world’s leaders on Twitter, 79% of accounts are actually outside the U.S., 92% of companies tweet more than once a day, the ‘tears of joy’ emoji is the most tweeted emoji, with 14.5 billion tweets.
- 2016 really is the year for livestreaming. Facebook is enhancing its live video features with a new world map that lets you browse videos happening around the world.
- You’ll also soon be able to leave videos as comments in Facebook posts.
- It’s also the year of the influencer – here’s (yet another) story on how brands find Instagram influencers more valuable than models and magazines.
- Instagram will launch its analytics for Business pages in the next few months and I’m excited that it will show post impressions – I wish they would offer it for regular user accounts too!
- Did you see the Texas mom whose Facebook Live video showing her laughing hysterically in a Chewbacca mask? It set the record for most-viewed Facebook Live post in history (136 million+ views and counting). Also as a result of this video: Chewbacca mask sales went up 916,298% on Amazon. I bet it’s also the top Halloween costume for this year lol.
- Here’s the week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 1, 8, 10, 13, 19, 22, and 26!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!