Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& sometimes tech) news. Come back weekly for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- The big social news of the week was Twitter’s announcement that they’re going to stop including pictures and links in the 140-character tweet limit. You can also soon retweet your own tweets and maybe we’ll stop seeing the period before @usernames as lazy tweeters won’t need to do that anymore to increase tweet reach.
- Some interesting data here from an analysis of 16 million+ posts from 100,000 brands on social media, including video being the most engaging content on Facebook, links are engaging but brands may be sharing too much, and the majority of updates are made to Twitter
- Yaaaas. I was waiting for Snapchat’s fun chat stickers to be usable in actual snaps and now they are!
- Snapchat’s valuation has grown to $18 billion, with lots of investor interest
- Brands are taking over social networks – there’s some indication that boosted/promoted posts could soon come to Instagram
- I’m surprised Reddit didn’t have its own image uploading before – they’ve dumped Imgur for “a more seamless experience”
- Geez. Did you know: one of every 178 social media posts on China’s micro blogs are made up by the government? 488 million social media comments are faked to distract citizens from bad news and sensitive political debates
- Here’s some research on why new moms are constantly posting about their mom-life on Facebook
- Crazy, if you work at a company with more than 50 employees in France, it’s now illegal for your company to send you after-work emails because “in the digital age, it’s become increasingly difficult for people to distance themselves from the workplace during their off hours“
- First of all – who wants to hack a library association? Here are some tips / lessons learned after someone hacked the American Library Association’s Facebook Page
- Here’s the week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 1, 2, 5, 16, 22, and 31!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!