On Wednesday night I was so excited to be invited to the Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta cooking event with Chef Lynn Crawford! Read my recap of the fun below, and also scroll to the bottom to enter my giveaway to win a year’s supply of Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta!
The night was put on to celebrate the launch of the new pasta line, which hit store shelves in late January 2015. Chef Lynn has been travelling around western Canada hosting these food events to talk about the product and demo recipes she’s developed using Catelli pasta.
Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta is the only 100% whole grain pasta of its kind, made with 100% Canadian wheat and five ancient grains – teff, quinoa, amaranth, sorghum, and millet!
As Chef Lynn prepared some whole grain rotini marinara and pesto spaghettini, she talked about how the new ancient grains pasta is all natural, with no preservatives – low in fat, with no sodium or trans fat. It’s meant to be a super healthy pasta pick for people increasingly paying attention to healthy eating and knowing what’s in their food.
Chef Lynn was an awesome host! As usual. She’s been to Alberta so many times in the past year now – first as NAIT’s 2014 Chef in Residence and next as a presenter at the 2014 Christmas in November. I can’t think of a better person for Catelli to pick to get people aware and excited about their new pasta.
We had a few snacks from the Get Cooking Edmonton team, and bites of Chef Lynn’s pasta, and then we moved onto a demo of Chef’s Chilled Noodle Salad with Ginger Wasabi Dressing. (Click here for the recipe!)
Chef Lynn got some food bloggers to come up to help with her salad demo and then we all split up into different tables to create the salad ourselves!
Overall, it was a really fun night and I’m really excited to try some of these recipes using Catelli’s new, healthy pasta!
Here are a few more recipes using Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta you can try at home!
- Rotini with 3-Peas and Pesto
- Rotini with Roasted Chicken and Cauliflower
- Spaghetti and Turkey Sausage and Kale
- Spaghettini with Sesame Bok Choy
- Singapore-style Spaghettini with Shrimp & Vegetables
And here are a few Tips for Cooking Whole Grain Pasta from Chef Lynn!
- Skip the oilNo need to add it to the cooking water – this takes away from the pasta’s final texture
- Think salty seaAdd a generous amount of sea salt to the boiling water to ensure your pasta is well-seasoned.
- Avoid rinsingFor hot pasta dishes, never rinse the pasta after cooking in order to retain starch and enable warm sauces to adhere to the pasta
- Watch your cooking timeCook pasta according to the cook time guide on the package but for a professional twist, cut one to two minutes off the suggested cooking time and finish off cooking the pasta in the sauce!
- Create the perfect pairDelicate pasta shapes go well with delicate sauces and heartier, ridged shapes pair well with richer sauces and ragus. Examples: Long thin pasta should go with classic marinara whereas penne, ziti, or rigatoni, can handle thicker sauces with more texture like a ragu Bolognese.
There were professional photos taken throughout the night too so when I get a hold of those I’ll swap out some of my not-the-greatest iPhone photos on this blog! Meanwhile, keep scrolling down for Catelli’s awesome giveaway! A year’s supply of Catelli Healthy Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta!
** GIVEAWAY **
ENTER TO WIN A YEAR’S SUPPLY OF CATELLI HEALTHY HARVEST ANCIENT GRAINS PASTA
(60 BOXES, VALUED AT $200)
I’m so excited Catelli is letting me give one of my readers/followers a year’s supply of pasta!
To enter, you must leave a comment on this blog post, answering the question: What pasta dish would you make with your ancient grains pasta? (gets you 5 entries)
You can get additional entries by doing the following:
- Like my new Facebook Page – Lindork (Linda Hoang) http://facebook.com/lindahoangblog (if you haven’t yet) and share this contest Facebook post on your page. (gets you 5 entries – let me know when you’ve done this)
- Follow me on Twitter @lindork and tweet the following: I entered @lindork’s blog giveaway for a year’s supply of #Catelli Healthy Harvest pasta! http://bit.ly/1DBJmwE #yeg #yegfood (gets you 5 entries)
- Follow me on Instagram @lindork (gets you 1 entry) – let me know you’ve done this!
I will randomly draw a winning entry from all entries after the contest closes on Saturday, April 4, 2015 at noon.
Please note comments need to be moderated so if you don’t see your comment appear right away, don’t worry!
Thanks again for this fun night and great giveaway opportunity, Catelli + Gail Bergman PR!
UPDATE (April 5, 2015)
Congratulations to Laurel (@habanerogal) – randomly chosen out of all entries to win the year’s supply of Catelli Health Harvest Ancient Grains Pasta!
Thank you to everyone who entered and stay tuned for more giveaways!