Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- This is so interesting – hear from the founders of the Dogs of Instagram account, and how they turned their passion into a boutique business.
- Love this. An official request asking Belgians to avoid tweeting anything that could inform terrorists of what’s going on, resulted in a national outbreak of cute and hilarious cat photos!
- I think this ad is super cute (because, unlikely interspecies animal friendships is always a hit) but I am surprised it has become the most shared ad of all time!
- Tinder has gone public – but not after its co-founder gave a really embarrassing interview where he confused the definition of ‘sodomy’ and bragged about his sex life. One analyst says ‘you can’t have someone out there making statements like this and be both credible and respected.’ I’m curious to see if it monetizes better than Twitter (as we know how Twitter has been struggling to make money).
- Why do all Google social networks seem to fail? Google is trying to save Google+ with a new makeover and a Google Hangout update that lets you hangout with pretty much anyone (no longer require a Google account, but really, who doesn’t have a Google account? lol).
- Facebook at Work app options are growing – they’ve announced an app called “Work Chat” and say their Facebook at Work program now has hundreds of companies on board (300 businesses are using the platform as their internal communications network), and a freemium version should be announced soon.
- Introducing the new Snapchat Story Explorer – which allows users to see more than just one or two vantage points of a moment in a ‘Live’ story. Live Stories show ‘whats happening’ in particular locations or at certain events, but often you only see one snap and then you’re somewhere else. Snapchat Story Explorer will let you view an NFL touchdown for example – a thousand different times, from different/unique views because so many people in the stadium filmed the play on Snapchat.
- Breakups are hard enough without throwing social media into the mix. Now Facebook has launched new tools that are meant to give people the option to digitally distance themselves from former loved ones without having to take too drastic of measures.
- Facebook has announced new Fundraiser Pages that are very similar to Kickstarter/crowdfunding sites. It’s meant to help non-profits raise money for specific causes. Check out the World Wildlife Fund’s Fundraiser page to see it in action.
- Instagram has made some changes to its API/developer processes. One change is it will now only let you pull in photos from photos in your Instagram, brand and ad management apps, and tools for media and broadcasters. You won’t be able to search/pull in photos from a hashtag/feed.
- I like using Flipagram about once or twice a year for summer/year-end recap photo videos that are shareable on social – apparently, it could be the next big thing – as Flipagram user growth surges and investor dollars flow in. Pretty interesting read and making me dig up the app and take another look at its uses.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!