Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Which apps are the Class of 2015 using? Here’s a new infographic that shows Instagram is tied for daily usage with Facebook, Snapchat is right up there at 60%, and Twitter is at 37%.
- I thought this infographic / new numbers on “Influencer Marketing” being the new king of content was really interesting! 92% of consumers trust recomendations from other people over brand content, blogs are the third-most influential digital resource when making purchases, there are influencers in every industry (food = 80%)
- Instagram users will have noticed a change in search/explore functions this week. The Explore tab now has curated collections including trending places, and search has been broken into different categories including location, tags, popular, and users.
- Facebook Messenger’s next step in taking on WhatsApp: You now no longer need to have a Facebook account to use the messaging app.
- Facebook is also getting some Snapchat inspiration by letting users put text, swipeable filters, and large emojis over top of photos uploaded to the social network.
- This is a really interesting collection of crowdfunding stories from babies, degrees, to cosmetic surgery – there seems to be almost nothing the online community won’t help you pay for these days.
- Adding on to Tumblr’s GIF search engine, the site has now launched something called TUMBLR TV, a combo of search and viewing GIFs, done in full-screen mode.
- There’s some new numbers on mobile viewing habits – where do you fit in? 35% of respondents report watching more video on their smartphone compared to last year, 36% say they watch long-form video (longer than 5 minutes) daily, and 53% say they often or smoetimes watch mobile video while watching TV!
- The hashtag #ThePowerofMakeUp was trending this week – with lots of women sharing interesting photos showing half of their face au natural and half with make-up.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 1, 7, 9, 13, 16, 23, and 32!!
- Plus: We did the cheque presentations today for the Edmonton International Cat Festival!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!