Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Facebook is changing the online news game. This is big guys. learn about the new Facebook Instant Articles.
- Facebook Events is getting some new features this coming year (and beyond), including maybe a standalone app, and the ability to invite friends who aren’t on Facebook!
- I can’t believe Periscope has only been around for six weeks. Their newest update lets users sign up with phone number if they don’t have or want to connect their Twitter account.
- You all know I’m all about the emojis. Here’s a good read on why they’re now acceptable at work!
- Next type of social marketing? Silent videos.
- The MySpace boss shares why he thinks Facebook overtook the social media game (and why MySpace didn’t).
- This tiny town in Spain runs on Twitter – broken light bulb? It’ll get repaired in minutes after you tweet about it.
- I’m surprised this wasn’t a thing before – but U.S. president Barack Obama is now on Twitter!
- Twitter’s new desktop search has been rolled out for all users. Looks a lot slicker but… Still defaults to Top instead of All (real-time). So that is still lame lol.
- Pinterest is starting an international playbook, bringing teams together in different areas around the world so they can brainstorm ideas to make the platform better for that country.
- This piece on the New York Times’ Snapchat storytelling challenge is interesting (and a good brand indicator of what other companies are likely trying to do with Snapchat).
- Also, check out the commencement speech the 24-year-old founder of Snapchat gave this weekend. He touches on why he didn’t sell Snapchat to Facebook.
- This pretty funny and accurate video is making the rounds on various social media sites: what it’s like to date social networks!
- A new study says the average person has five social media accounts and spends about an hour and 40 minutes checking social media per day. How do you compare?
- A look at whether your actions off-work hours can you get in trouble (it’s all about your brand!) after the employer of the man in the FHITP incident said they were firing him.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 1, 21, 25, 29, 30 and 35!!
- The Edmonton International Cat Festival is in TWO WEEKS!! Saturday, May 30! Get your tickets!! Come watch cat videos & do other fun cat-themed stuff, including meeting celebrity cat Pudge, all for a good cause! Here’s the schedule for the day! Check out some frequently asked questions here, and head here to buy tickets in advance!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!