Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Edmonton’s #iMEDIA15 social media conference took place over the weekend. It trended in Edmonton and Canada! Check out tweets from the conference here.
- “Fat” is no longer a feeling on Facebook. They removed ‘feeling fat’ status emoji after a petition amassed more than 16,000 signatures – sparking debate on whether Facebook was promoting body shaming through the status.
- This is just truly ridiculous but LOL an Australian reporter’s “penis-shaped” neckline has exploded online, with lots of people pointing out on Facebook & Twitter that “once you see it, you cannot unsee it.”
- Government requests for your Facebook information has risen slightly, from 34,946 to 35,051 requests from the first to second half of 2014. Facebook also says government requests to restrict or pull content had risen by 11%, mainly in India and Turkey.
- Wondering about Facebook’s nudity standards? They’ve updated their Community Standards page and say nudity and buttocks are not okay among other important clarifications on hate speech, bullying, harassment and more.
- Twitter continues to try to step up its live TV game – introducing new TV timelines, specific timelines you can view that show all things pictures, videos, and commentary, about a specific show. Would you use it?
- It’s now against Twitter’s policy to post “intimate photos and videos that were taken or distributed without the subject’s consent.” (Odd that that wasn’t against the policy before…)
- We can expect to see Twitter testing live streaming after it confirmed that it’s bought Periscope, a startup that’s working on a live streaming app for mobile devices.
- We all love photos of cats on the Internet (right? Who doesn’t?) Now “Catstacam” has been released – a collar-worn camera that is meant to help your cat shoot and automatically upload photos to Instagram. Intriguing?
- Celebrity cats were at South by Southwest – did you see the line-up to meet Grumpy Cat? Gets longer every year! This cat popularity thing ain’t going no where.
- Twitter apparently has cut some ties with Meerkat but Meerkat – which is a video streaming app that I’ve never even heard of, says it’s just a bump and they’re going to be even better now.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 3, 4, 7, 11, 19, 23!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!