Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each Sunday for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Good news: Twitter joins Google, Facebook, with ‘forward secrecy’ security, aimed at keeping both hackers & nosy government agencies from snooping.
- Think bitcoin is just a fad? Well there’s actually a virtual-currency craze with a number of new digital currencies being created. I still don’t quite understand all this virtual currency business. Lol.
- Speaking of bitcoin, apparently Virgin Galactic is accepting bitcoin as currency for space flights. Wow!
- And the word of the year is …. ‘selfie’, according to Oxford Dictonaries. Editors say the frequency of its usage increased by 17,000% over the past year.
- And then check out the very first selfie ever from 1839!
- I’d definitely get this (if I could afford it lol) – Google Glass may have found a prescription lens partner.
- Well this is interesting – a restaurant in Israel is offering 50% off the bill for turning off your phone! Would you … could you .. do it?
- A report finds even older social networkers overshare online.
- Survey finds YouTube and Facebook remain hives of online negativity, and teens are leading the charge, unsurprisingly.
- Check out some interesting social media stats relevant for those involved in marketing/social media strategies but also just in general.
- I’m still not using this yet but I may be in the minority at this point – Snapchat users share 400 million images a day, surpassing the number of photo uploads made to Facebook daily.
- Apparently Instagram plans to add private messaging before 2014. I don’t know if it’s necessary!
- This is rare! YouTube had an outage earlier this week. It happened when I was teaching a social media course to some staff and needed to show them a YouTube video. #worsttiming lol.
- Xbox One smashes sales record – one million consoles have been sold in 24 hours.
- It’s the end of an era, as Winamp shuts down after 15+ years. Ah Winamp. #nostalgia
- Did you miss my Social Media Spotlight on Hope Mission’s #feedakid campaign? It was a huge success & helped raise meals and awareness for children in need.
- Check out this week’s adorable Cat Saturday photos. I’ve seen a lot of them before but my favs are 5, 7, 9, 10, 15, 19, 21 & 24!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!