Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Did you follow the Ray Rice domestic violence story from last week? The #WhyIStayed and #WhyILeft hashtag that came out of that featured tweets from thousands of women giving reasons about why they stayed / left abusive relationships. Really complex and sad.
- If you followed that, you probably saw pizza company DiGiorno’s hashtag/social media flub when they tried to jump on a trending hashtag (#WhyIStayed) and didn’t bother checking what the hashtag was all about.
- Facebook wants to be more like Snapchat than we thought.. the company is testing out ‘Snapchat-like’ expiration dates for your posts. Good idea? Bad idea?
- I feel like Twitter has been testing this forever but last week looked like the ‘official’ public testing of its ‘Buy Button’.
- Haters gon hate. But Apple sold over 4 million of its new iPhones in 24 hours – breaking sales records. Apple4ever.
- Speaking of Apple, I loved how the tweets about the #AppleLive event ended up revolving around the Purple Scarf Guy. Too funny!
- I haven’t really had a chance to play around with the Hyperlapse app yet (now that I think of it, I should have used it at the Beagle Mania party I was at on the weekend! So many beagles!!!) but check out this list of 10 really cool Hyperlapses.
- Oo, wonder what implications this purchase will have! Microsoft confirms it has acquired Minecraft for $2.5 billion. They’ve started conversations around bringing it to Xbox too.
- Apparently Facebook is underfire from gay and transgender users who are being forced to use real names. Network has been asking users to set up fan pages or change their legal names and send in copies of their birth certificates and driver’s licenses to verify their identity.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 7, 8, 18, 20, and 28!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!