Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& sometimes tech) news. Come back weekly for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Such an interesting read: How Snapchat built a business by confusing olds. Indeed.
- Speaking of which: MacEwan’s Tyler Butler and I will be running a Snapchat for Beginners workshop at this weekend’s iMEDIA Social Media Conference! (March 12) You can still get some last minute tickets.
- Ooo, Instagram’s showing whose boss. They’re blocking ‘add me’ / links off to other social platforms like Snapchat and Telegram.
- Won’t something Twitter owns be able to shine? Facebook is fighting Twitter’s Periscope by showing Facebook Live videos higher in news feeds.
- Looks like Meerkat doesn’t even want to fight it – they’re moving away from livestreams and more towards a Google Hangouts and Skype.
- Crazy. France is urging parents to be more careful when posting pictures of their kids on Facebook – saying parents could end up facing jail time, hefty fines, or being sued by kids in the future, over posting photos.
- The federal government has announced $48 million in funding for a project that would monitor social media posts for signs of mental illness.
- Tinder’s expanding features to encourage users to play matchmaker for their friends.
- In related news: a new study finds Tinder users are twice as likely to have an STI, lol.
- Fake social media accounts could soon be illegal in the UK, though there’s some concerns that forcing people to use real names may leave vulnerable groups open to more abuse.
- How cool is this? Netflix is looking to hire four Insta- ‘grammasters’ to spend two weeks taking photos of iconic movie and TV locations in Europe for their account. You get $4,000 + accommodations, flights, and well, awesome experience!
- I can see these reminders (/rules) being more important lately (so many people I know are having babies!): 5 rules for posting about a friend’s baby.
- Here are 96 social media stats for 2016 including more than half of Google searches come from mobile, there are an estimated 81 million fake Facebook profiles, pizza is the most popular Instagrammed food, 56 million WordPress blog posts are published each month, and more!
- These photos of a cat + baby best friend are getting lots of attention online (as they should lol). So cute. Future cat/baby goalz.
- Here’s the week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 4, 5, 9, 11, 17, and 24!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!