Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Can you believe it? YouTube is 10 years old! To celebrate, they’re sharing videos from every letter of the alphabet – A to Z – for 26 days! Check it out here!
- I don’t think vertical video is going away… :'( Snapchat persuades brands to go vertical with their video. Mobile phones change the way we watch. Sigh. I’ll have to get over my pet peeve.
- Pinterest cofounder says the ratio of women to men using Pinterest is gradually shifting with the number of men pinning and re-pinning doubling in 2014 (to an unspecified number lol).
- This is just odd. Four years after it created its Twitter account, @GooglePlus sends out its first tweet. Weird timing since Google+ is basically getting dismantled (as is true with most Google social networks lol)
- I was just talking to someone about LiveJournal last week! Apparently the blogging platform from the 90s is still being used, lol.
- The stupidity of some people: Man gets arrested after liking his own Wanted Ad on Facebook.
- Goodbye to Foursquare? Apparently employees of the social network that got big based on user location “check-ins” are now “checking out” (lol word play).
- Just don’t try Yahoo… Reports indicate Yahoo is working on two messaging apps to compete with WhatsApp, Kik, Snapchat, and Facebook Messenger.
- Interesting. Anonymous social networking app “Secret” is shutting down after less than 2 years (and after reciving $100 million in startup money).
- There are apparently 40 million active small business Facebook Pages and only 2 million of them are active paid advertisers.
- Iconosquare stripped their free version of a lot of features last week – opting for very steep premium plans but then reversed their decision after users expressed a lot of anger! I am impressed they listened to user feedback and changed back (but also surprised they got as far as re-launching without doing any of consultation beforehand… did they think going from 0 to hundreds of dollars a month would be well-received?)
- Instagram has launched a new official community on its service dedicated to music and musicians @music. It’s the first time the company has created a dedicated account devoted to a single subject.
- Speaking of dedicated accounts on topics from social networks: Twitter has also launched one – an account dedicated to food (@TwitterFood).
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 5, 8, 13, 17, 20, and 28!!
- And I’ll take the opportunity to plug the Edmonton International Cat Festival each week until May 30! Get your tickets!! Come watch cat videos & do other fun cat-themed stuff, including meeting celebrity cat Pudge, all for a good cause! Here’s the schedule for the day! And head here to buy tickets in advance!
- I’ll also be doing a social media presentation in Fort St. John, B.C. next week at the Spark Women’s Leadership Conference – be sure to follow along on Twitter as I check out the city & region food (hopefully) and attractions!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!