Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Snapchat just released a few updates: including emoji coding your contacts, brightening up your Snaps, and letting you know who hasn’t been Snapped in awhile. Emojisforever.
- Snapchat is also trying to show it’s all about security now. It’s limiting third party app access because ‘almost every security issue we’ve had has been related to API abuse.’
- A woman in Brooklyn was given permission by a judge to serve divorce papers via a Facebook Message. It comes after repeated failed attempts to contact him othrewise. Precedent setting? Apparently in some cases you can serve divorce papers via text message.
- Twitter launches Curator – a new, free Storify competitor but to me, more like a free social media command centre/listening centre platform. “Discover, curate and display the best Twitter content on any screen.”
- Thanks to Bianca Jade + Shaw TV Edmonton for including me in their story about blogging/Twitter and the Edmonton social media awards: The Yeggies!
- I have such an on/off relationship with Pinterest! Their new ‘Pin it’ button may help make it “on” again? Moves from six clicks to bookmark a pin down to three clicks.
- Because. GIFs. Hulu launches a gif search engine for gifs from TV shows.
- Facebook introduces Riff, an app that helps you create mashup videos with your friends, guaranteed* to go viral. *not guaranteed.
- Parents can now “scrapbook” on Facebook – collecting photos of their baby, toddler, pre-teens (or pets) in a centralized place that they can share with friends. Giving more purpose and validation to baby photos on Facebook lol.
- Apps gotta make money somehow. Budweiser and Tinder team to for new Budweiser Whatever, USA campaign.
- Of course Tinder is not alone in trying to monetize. Twitter is now testing promoted/advertising tweets on profile pages (not just in a timeline).
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 2, 4, 6, 10, 13, 17, 20, 22, and 23!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!