Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Instagram is entering the photo collage/grid game with its new app “Layout from Instagram.” I have been trying to move away from photo collages on Instagram but this is a big move from Insta to say, collages are just fine guys.
- In ongoing efforts to ramp up its no-trolling/abuse status, Twitter now lets you report a threatening tweet, gives you a clearly laid out summary/details of the abuse that you can then give to police.
- You can also now activate a “Quality Filter on Twitter – blocking out tweets that contain threats, offensive or abusive language, duplicate content, or tweets sent from suspicious accounts.
- You know all that clickbait Upworthy unleashed upon the Internet? They’re apologizing for that now. Saying they unleashed a “monster” and that they’re excited to say goodbye to clickbait moving forward.
- Vine just added lots of updates including offline viewing to alleviate data usage pains, and faster video loading time.
- You can now share full-length music tracks from Rhapsody on Twitter, a feature that uses Twitter’s audio cards.
- Facebook is planning on letting third parties add features to its Messenger app, turning Messenger into more than just a messaging platform. Who still hates that Messenger is separate from the Facebook app? *raises hand*
- Paying your friends back has never been easier. You can now send friends money through Facebook Messenger.
- Sometimes I just don’t know how campaigns get through approvals: Starbucks’ senior VP of Global Communications deletes his Twitter account after Starbucks ‘Race Together’ campaign backlash.
- A closer look at the Meerkat hype and the questions it poses for the future of social media. Forbes writer says Meerkat is “simply an inevitable step forward in the culture of how we communicate.
- An interesting read: On social media, everything happens all the time – after news of the death of author Chinua Achebe two years after the fact shows how timestamps are losing relevance.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 2, 3, 11, 12, 15, 19, 23, 28 and 29!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!