Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- It’s your last chance to get tickets to iMEDIA 2015 social media conference! The mixer is Friday and the conference is all day Saturday. Hope to see you there!
- I’m excited to announce I’ll be speaking at the 2015 Spark Women’s Leadership Conference in B.C. this May! I’ll be doing a workshop on social media brand building both personally and for your business. More details on that in a separate post!
- Our Premier is just the best. (that was extreme sarcasm). After his Albertans should look in the mirror to see who is to blame for the province’s financial woes comment, we got the wonderful #PrenticeBlamesAlbertans hashtag with hilarious memes & commentary.
- In China, social media is said to make people’s lives worse, ripping people away from other, more important things in life.
- #TheDress was all over the web last week with a lot of brands putting their spin on it, but no brand used it quite like the South African branch of the Salvation Army in an advert on domestic violence.
- “ISIS’ mastery of social media continues despite the increasing willingness of Twitter and Facebook to take down offensive content.’ An interesting read on how ISIS is building a global brand using Nutella, celebrity and social media.
- I’m so happy that this story of ‘Dancing Man’ – mocked online for dancing, has a happy ending. Tweets helped locate the man and now ‘the best party ever’ is being thrown for him! Go #DancingMan.
- Over the coming weeks, you might see a small dip in your Page Likes as Facebook is no longer factoring deactivated / deceased accounts in its Likes count.
- Instagram Ads now include multi-page/photo ‘carousel ads’ that include click-able links. More power to the marketers. But why can’t the small time Instagram user have clickable links?!?!
- Imgur has a new iOS app that allows users to easily browse for their daily fix of memes and other hilarious photos!
- The Apple Watch event was this morning (got $10,000 for a gold one?) and is compatible with some of our favourite social networks. Here’s what Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram look like on the Apple Watch.
- Apparently an election campaign in South Wales is using cat memes in ads for education, health care and privatisation. Funny but also, copyright issues? No?
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 4, 7, 10, 24, 14, 19, 22, 23, 26 and 27
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!