Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Pretty big Twitter update: Twitter announces new embedded mobile video. You can upload videos up to 30 seconds long. What does this mean for Vine? Also, new group direct messages!
- Speaking of Vine, it has a new kids app – Vine Kids includes videos featuring animated characters, funny animals, and Sesame Street clips.
- This is so strange… a look into people battling for celebrity attention on social media – “FIRST!”
- Crazy story… rapists are increasingly exploiting social media to cover their tracks and mislead investigators.
- Twitter wants its popular users to stop posting Instagram links. Even unpopular users should stop doing this. Stop cross-posting guys…
- Check out some of the latest Facebook user base information – Facebook boasting 1.39 billion monthly active users – 500 million (forcibly) using Messenger, 700 million on WhatsApp… etc. Still the most popular social network in the world – by far!
- Facebook has rolled out its ‘lite’ version to eight countries/emerging markets including Vietnam, Sri Lanka, South Africa, Bangladesh, and more. Lite takes up less than 1 MB on phones!
- Facebook’s trying to help the not-so-smart users. Adding an annotation to posts that have been widely reported as time-wasting content (hoaxes/false or misleading reports, etc.)
- Remember the infamous Oreo social media tweet that changed social media marketing forever?? A look at how social media factors into the Super Bowl.
- Lol. Ello was so anti-climactic. Touted as the anti-Facebook social network, it’s now launched the ability to share music and video clips (but it doesn’t matter because… who is using it?
- A closer look at Facebook @ Work – app for your company. I am really interested in trying it out and seeing if it could work at NAIT!
- Snapchat has launched its new ‘Discover’ feature, showing content from brands like ESPN, CNN, Vice and Warner Music. Discover is like an ‘always-on, daily refreshed channel guide serving up disappearing content alongside brand ads.’ Interesting.
- In a move that’s sure to add even more GIFs into the world, Imgur releases a fast vide-to-GIF converter. “Democratizing GIF creation for everyone!”
- YouTube rival? Facebook now has over 3 billion video views per day. Is it just me? I have no patience for watching videos, lol. #videoADD
- A really interesting blog series from Karlynn (The Kitchen Magpie) on dispelling food blogger myths and what the food industry needs to learn about food bloggers.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 3, 9, 11, 18, 22, and 32!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!