Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Facebook announced this past week its new Safety Check service that will let you tell friends you’re safe during disasters. The feature recognizes when a phone is in range of an unfolding natural disaster, then prompts someone to signify whether they are safe or not in the area. Pretty interesting especially with how much social media/phones are used in emergencies.
- Looks like Snapchat continues to move into the world of news – with a New York Times memo alluding to the development of strategies for new(ish) social paltforms like Snapchat and WhatsApp.
- Have you seen Edmonton’s new augmented reality magazine – #YEGWeekend?. Download an app and place your phone over the magazine’s pages to get additional videos and information. So neat! Though I wonder how many would actually take the effort to download and digest a publication this way.
- I haven’t heard much about Yik Yak until recently – its 23-year-old founders want the bulletin board-like service to be the go-to feed for news. (But that’s what Twitter is for lol)
- It’s not that this is surprising info – how easy it is to steal your information onliune – but this story about the dangers of connecting to public Wi-Fi is a good reminder about using the web with caution.
- Google’s launched a new guide to help iOS users seamlessly switch over to Android. It ain’t happening!!! Lol
- Where do you get your news? A new study says Facebook is the second biggest source for political news, beating out CNN and Fox News.
- You can now follow entire channels on Vine such as Comedy or Music, to get the best editor-picked Vines in your main feed.
- Officially, goodbye Twitpic.
- This made me laugh: Redditors have found a way to trick your cat with a circle. LOL I’d like to try this.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 20, 24, and 28!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!