Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each Sunday for what I hope to be an informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- And it’s public! Twitter makes its stock market debut, surging in opening trade on the NYSE.
- Meanwhile… this is pointless but fun – check out how much Twitter owes you. Twitter owes me $4,330. I’ll take it!!!
- This is what happens when you dress up as a Boston Marathon victim and post it on Twitter. Wow… but really, what an idiot.
- This is crazy: Someone noticed this tiny thing on Google Maps and when they zoomed in… well… click to find out what they found!.
- No currency is safe.. $1.3 millon in Bitcoin was stolen this week. Apparently it’s one of the 15 biggest robberies in Bitcoin’s history. That seems like a lot of robberies for something that just started a few years ago, lol.
- Consume news on Twitter? Pew Research Center says Twitter news consumers are young, mobile and educated. Sounds like me ;) Lol.
- Most racist tweet from a big company this week goes to… Home Depot.
- Last week it was giraffe photos, this week it’s “Bistrips. A Canadian app that ‘comic-izes your Facebook statuses and is annoying my feed. Lol
- YouTube comments section – can be a dark, disparaging and defamatory realm of the web. But that’ll soon be a thing of the past (maybe), as YouTube commences its comment-section clean-up with Google+!
- A review of the first-ever YouTube Music Awards and what it signals for YouTube & the music industry’s future.
- My Twitter was all abuzz about Best Buy/Future Shop’s free game trade-in event this weekend! I stood in line for Mike to get all three new games as he was working out of town. (Best wife ever?)
- My Twitter was also abuzz about Lululemon’s founder saying their yoga pants don’t work for ‘some women’s bodies’ and then apologizing about the comments via YouTube.
- A new survey says nearly half of Canadians turn to social media for product reviews. I would think that number would be higher!
- It’s been a week since the first Instagram ad made its debut and the company says the ad apears to be working!
- Also on the topic of Instagram… a study suggests what kinds of posts get those precious double taps – including bluer images.
- Facebook’s iconic ‘Like’ button seen 22 billion times a day on 7.5 million different websites has dropped the thumbs up and gone more blue. I love the thumbs up :(
- Well it’s common now for employers to look at your tweets/social networking profiles before deciding to hire you so it makes sense that college admissions officers would also take a peek.
- Did you miss my Social Media Spotlight on a local tweeter who found love online and is now helping others do the same? Give it a read! And stay tuned for this week’s spotlight… I am so excited about the topic!
- Check out this week’s adorable Cat Saturday photos. My favs are 2, 19 and 26!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!