Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- A friend of friends is missing. The local social media community has really come together to try and spread the word to help find her. Please share and contact the email/numbers listed on the poster if you have any information.
- Interesting – looks like a ‘Mute’ button is coming to the official Twitter app! Progress in the fight against TV spoilers lol or if someone is tweeting too many things from a conference or event? (Just don’t forgot to unmute me if you end up muting me for something guys! :()
- Pretty big (and can see why Facebook wanted to snap it up) – Snapchat adds mobile messaging & video chat. Also true to Snapchat style, these videos + texts also disappear when you exit the screen.
- Speaking of Snapchat, a high school teacher says “in my 16 years of teaching, nothing as disrupted my classrom more than Snapchat’s new update.” Sheesh.
- Pushing more desktop use – Vine online gets a major update that includes search & discovery feaures.
- Twitter says it now has 255 million monthly active users, but growth isn’t enough to satisfy investors. I think this quote from the story is important: “Twitter is and will remain a niche medium, and a very powerful one.” It’s amazing to me how many people are on Twitter, but how many more are not.
- A less on in ‘misguided tweeting’ – PayPal exec is out after tweets criticized others in the company. Tsk!
- The power of tweets: Researchers say Tweets can guide emergency responders almost immedaitely after an earthquake.
- I don’t like location sharing and I don’t like where it’s going: Ambient proximity – constantly and automatically sharing your approximate distance from close friends – is the next phase of location sharing.
- Short URLs, they’re so in right now.
- Facebook announces FB Newswire, a resource for journalists and newsrooms to “find, share and embed newsworthy content form Facebook.” It does this by aggregating newsworthy content shared publicly on FB.
- Check out this round-up of news that came out of the Facebook F8 Conference including anonymous login and “AppLinks.”
- I had seen news of this incredibly awkward social media song pop up in my feed a few weeks ago but have serious video A.D.D. so never actually watched it until this weekend when a friend tweeted it directly to me. I’ll just say lolz.
- The world’s shortest cat is going to be making a virtual appearance at the Edmonton International Cat Festival on June 7!! :) I’m also lining up two other celebrity cats! Get your tickets!
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 4, 5, 8, 15, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21 and 35!!!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!