Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- The NSA sucks. It impersonated Facebook to try and infect millions of computers.
- Taking Twitter ads to the next level – “click to call” button being tested for sponsored posts.
- I can’t believe Edmonton made this list! TIME has released the Top 100 Selfiest Cities in the World. Victoria and Edmonton are the only two Canadian cities. Crazy!
- Speaking of selfies, Apple’s added a new category in the App Store specifically for selfie sharing. Legit.
- Wow… “100 RTs and I’ll shoot someone walking.” Incredibly stupid man, arrested.
- Did you read my Social Media Spotlight on an Edmonton photographer winning a Google award for his creative Street View project?
- The #iMedia2014 social media conference took place on Saturday. I was emcee! I’m planning on doing a recap blog post but for now wanted to highlight amazing stats from WestJet’s Christmas Miracle viral video! The opening keynote from Greg Hounslow of WestJet was so interesting.
- Interesting – ER doctors use Google Glass & QR codes to identify patients. Pretty futuristic ~
- Hmmm…. Facebook introduces Video Ads but promises they won’t be spammy. I don’t think you can have unwanted video ads interrupting someone’s feed scrolling without it coming off spammy.
- The web turned 25 this past week. Crazy. I still don’t even get how it works. lol
- Neat. A Twitter Fiction Festival #twitterfiction) ran from March 12-16. Fifty authors tweeted original stories 140 characters at a time! Check out the website here.
- I hadn’t watched this video before it was revealed it was an ad for a clothing company so I don’t feel duped, but a LOT of people should feel it. The video of ‘strangers’ kissing was shared like crazy, but it’s actually just an ad for a clothing company. Fail.
- This parody of the strangers kissing video from Jimmy Fallon is infinitely better!
- The Veronica Mars movie finally came out. It was awesome! I was one of the many who funded the movie through Kickstarter. Here’s an interesting read on crowdfunding as the future for financing movies.
- Pretty cool! DataStickies ‘post-it notes’ transfer files just by sticking them on to a computer! The future is now!
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 4, 5, 8, 15, 17, 22, 25, and 27!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!