Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Klout’s trying to up its Klout – It’s latest update turns it into a content creation platform. I’m intrigued!
- An interesting read on social media influence.
- Twitter is trying to deal with inactive accounts. Despite 1 billion+ registrations, only about 20% are actively using the service. Though I still think 241 million active users is pretty good!
- Interesting transparency move. Facebook Page managers will start seeing names of admins who made posts and comments starting Feb. 20!
- I feel like I’m behind on discovering this but I found it while browsing #Facebookis10 10 year anniversary links. A collection of stories showing how people come together through Facebook. Click the ’10’ tab for 10 top stories!
- Speaking of #Facebookis10, touching, reflective, Look Back videos were all the rage this week. Here’s mine!
- Speaking of touching… Facebook is giving a grieving father a ‘Look Back’ video for his dead son. More interesting – Facebook is now considering how better to memoralize its users who have died.
- Did you see Google’s awesome Olympic doodle? Fantastic stand for human rights.
- Have you been following the Olympics? Here are some of the top-tweeted Olympic photos so far from #Sochi2014. Quite American!
- And here were the hilarious (and sometimes horrifying) tweets from journalists about their hotel experiences in Sochi.
- When should you avoid using Upworthy-style headlines? When talking about rape. #CNNFail
- Government of Canada employees go through a 12-step process and weeks of review/revisions before they tweet. Unbelievable.
- Has there been an Edmonton one yet? Instagram addicts everywhere are uniting offline at InstaMeets.
- Well this is cool! Marc Jacobs pop-up shop takes tweets, Instagrams, for payment.
- These are some interesting ideas for social media-themed Valentine’s gifts! The Pinterest quote wall decal is awesome.
- The game Flappy Bird was all anyone on my social networks was talking about last week. Read about the game’s success and demise!
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 17 and 26!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!
Klout felt really far off on context and topics and it’s still pretty awful at determining what social networks you use and are influential on. They’re still a ways off from correctly measuring network influence.