Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Ha. Did you see this browser plugin called ‘Downworthy’? It turns hyperbolic viral headlines into what they really mean. Too funny!
- We all know Google employees get the best perks but this is a new revelation – If a Google employee dies, his/her spouse gets half pay for 10 years. You go Google.
- I never understand how people fall for these scams on Facebook (like the Costco gift card one), a read / reminder on being smarter on social media.
- Twitter is doing its darndest to become a second-screen for TV viewing.
- A cool infographic on the history of the ‘feed’ and and how its changed the way we consume content.
- An interesting look at The Grammys one-woman social media team!
- Facebook’s 10th anniversary is coming up! Here’s a look at 10 Facebook terms that have changed the English language.
- If you use Pinterest for recipes, you’ll appreciate its better search function for recipes pins!
- Wow! Dogecoin users raised more than $30,000 to fund the Jamaican bobsled team’s trip to the Olympics! That’s crazy. I mean, much crazy.
- Twitter releases its own analytics tool to help ‘power users’ get more clicks to their links.
- Vine celebrated its one year birthday on Friday! One year of amazing, hilarious, and also stupid six-second videos. I wonder what Year 2 will bring! Here’s a round-up of Vine’s favourite six-second videos over this past year.
- Another ‘birthday’ – Apple celebrates 30 years of Mac with a special webpage & video.
- Snapchat unveils new anti-hacking tactic. Meanwhile, I’ve tried using Snapchat a bit over the last couple weeks and I have to say what I dislike the most about it is that people can mass-send ‘snaps’ and you don’t know if anything is particularly for you. It’s just not special!
- Facebook Page owners take note: Facebook really hates stand-alone status updates and continues to make sure no fans see it. A change to newsfeeds now promotes updates that include links over ones without.
- An interesting profile on the two teenage creators of @HistoryInPics. Very smart teenagers.
- This doesn’t surprise me – Instagram is growing faster than Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest combined.
- One in seven Canadians consider dropping traditional cable TV for Internet streaming. Would you? We do love our Netflix.
- I hate Bitstrips. You can read this story about how it amusing and annoying people all over as the dumb social network comics go viral.
- Gmail was down for a few hours on Friday. Somehow the outage was worse for Yahoo than it was for Google.
- Because there are awards for everything … The .GIFYs recognize incredible, time-wasting GIFs.
- Speaking of gifs, Pinterest is now playing GIFs!
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favs are 2, 4, 7, 8, 15, 18, 20, 21, and 25!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!