Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Sign of what’s to come? Facebook ‘isn’t in any immediate danger of dissipating into irrelevance’, but more young people are seeing value of ‘targeted apps’ like WhatsApp, Instagram & Snapchat.
- Speaking of targeted apps… A new report says mobile app use surged 115% last year.
- Twitter is rolling out a redesigned homepage that resembles mobile Twitter. Not a huge difference but with the header it’s a touch more visual.
- Snapchat has finally apologized for security breach and rolls out the fix. Side note – I’ve finally caved and downloaded Snapchat, though am not using it too heavily. It’s just there. For now. lol
- Also, Snapchat has been blocked from this prestigious school.
- Pinterest’s Pin It button proved more desirable with retailers in 2013 than Facebook’s Like button! (Just. Also just beats out tweets) I have to say my use of Pinterest has dwindled significantly this past year.
- Google’s launched a new email feature… now anyone can email you using Google+, even if they don’t know your email address. Hm.
- This is interesting – Twitter is testing a feature that well send you DMs helping you see which tweets are your most successful and how many people are engaging with you. I’ve signed up!
- Apparently #Felfies, or ‘farm selfies’ are gaining ground on Instagram. Pigs, horses, sheep, chicken… I personally know someone who posts a Felfie with her llama each week! lol.
- This is my first time hearing about it but this Mashable article looks at why ‘We Heart It’ could be the next big social network.
- Too many CES 2014 articles circulating last week so be sure to catch the round-up here and also since I’ve mentioned Bitcoins quite a bit in past round-ups, here’s some Bitcoin-related hardware & services that appeared at CES 2014.
- Another example of why you shouldn’t believe anything you see on the Internet, including the story Kim Jong-un feeding his uncle to the dogs.
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favs are 4, 7, 9, 18, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, and 33!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!