Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& sometimes tech) news. Come back weekly for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Instagram for Web got a nice update – it now shows you notifications in a handy tab (really not earth shattering, but it didn’t have this feature before so this makes the desktop experience much better).
- I’m always interested in reads about this topic: Meet the social media influencers redefining celebrity. So interesting.
- You might have also noticed lots of people sharing “turn on post notifications if you want to keep seeing my stuff!” on Instagram. This is in reaction to Instagram’s ‘algorithm-style’ news feed changes.
- Oh god. Remember those annoying Bitstrips??? Looks like Snapchat bought Bitstrips maker Bitmoji… so can we expect to see more Bitstrip-style features coming to Snapchat soon?
- Boo: looks like screenshotting snaps could soon be illegal? (Well, at least in the UK).
- Looks like Twitter wants to add more stickers to its app too (this is how we’ve evolved: we need/want stickers + scribbles in our social apps!)
- Wow. This is terrifying for our future artificial intelligence/human race. Microsoft had to delete its ‘teen girl’ AI after the Internet turned it into a Hitler-loving sex bot in 24 hours.
- 92% of consumers read online reviews before making purchases, trusting those reviews as much as they would recommendations from friends and family. Here’s a good read on how much online reviews are actually worth.
- On This Day is one of my favourite features on Facebook and I’m not the only one! Apparently the Facebook Memories feature gets 60 million visits daily.
- Where do people get their news? Increasingly on Twitter and Facebook.
- Kendall Jenner is revealing her secrets to Instagram success – but really, her Insta popularity is due to the fact that she’s already a mega celebrity, lol, though if you’re curious, tips include: show restraint and mystery. “You want to leave them wanting to come back.”
- Facebook is testing a new feature that will alert you if it detects someone trying to impersonate your account by using your name and photos. Scary stuff – nice that they’re taking it seriously!
- Is 2016 really the year of livestreaming? Google is reportedly developing a live-streaming app called ‘YouTube Connect.’
- Oy. A new study reports that frequent social media users are 3x more likely to be depressed. But, this doesn’t mean that social media is causing depression. Lead author suggests it could just be that people who are already depressed are turning to social to fill the void (but that doesn’t help).
- This is interesting: do you have a social media policy for your family? Some tech experts say you need one. I can definitely see value in making sure everyone in the household is on the same page about do’s and don’ts with social.
- Here’s the week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 6, 8, 11, 12, 14, 16, 22, and 26!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!