As I put together something called “Spin the Wheel of Local” for Edmonton businesses, I thought it would be a lot of fun (and hopefully helpful) to create a similar experience for Calgary!
I think it’s amazing how Albertans have stepped up to insist they will support local businesses during this COVID-19 pandemic. The reality is that many small businesses won’t be able to survive this difficult time without a concerted effort to support them.
There’s been some amazing social media posts and lists created already, rounding up different take-out, delivery, curb-side pick-up and other ways small businesses are trying to adapt to this new reality, I wanted to inject something a bit different into the mix, so I came up with this fun randomizer wheel idea!
Spin the Wheel of Local: Calgary Edition!
Here’s how Spin the Wheel of Local: Calgary Edition! works:
- You have a desire to support local Calgary businesses during this difficult time
- You can’t decide which business to support today, or this week, or this month
- You click below to Spin the Wheel of Local: Calgary Edition
- It lands on a number
- You check the corresponding business / activity idea below that matches the number
- You do that thing!
And thereby contribute to the local economy, support an amazing business, get an amazing product or service in return, and it was all a randomly-generated surprise! So fun!!! Right?
Use the wheel to guide your day, week, or month of supporting local businesses!
This current edition (as of March 22, 2020) features 50 Calgary businesses.
If you had fun trying Spin the Wheel of Local: Calgary Edition!, let me know in the comments or on social media!
Note: apparently the wheel doesn’t load on Android phones (of course lol).
Try this link if you can’t view the spinning wheel above!
Spin the Wheel of Local: Calgary Edition!
(50+ local businesses to support)
Note: these are just *some* of the great businesses who could use your support in Calgary. They feature restaurants (primarily) but also clothing stores, jewelry makers, artists and more. This is obviously not an exhaustive list, and some features may change so be sure to check out social media, website, or call to confirm specials! Please support your favourite spots and spots you don’t typically frequent too.
- Grab sandwiches and meat boxes from Empire Provisions
- Grab some soups, stews and bread from Sidewalk Citizen
- Order some handmade gifts from Crafted
- Try CHARCUT’s Family Style curb-side pick-up menu
- Get Made by Marcus ice cream pints, bars, and cakes delivered
- Upgrade your kitchen knives (since you’re going to be at home more for the foreseeable future) with Knifewear
- Order pizza and pasta from UNA Takeaway
- Get wine and tapas delivered from the Vin Room
- Shop earth-friendly, lo-waste and plastic-free, sustainable hair, body and home products from Unwrapped Life
- Pick up spam & egg Japa Rice Burgers, japaghetti and japa bowls from Red Heads Cafe
- Get or gift flowers from peaseblossoms flowers & stuff
- Order a Loco Moco Breakfast and eggs bennies from The Bro’kin Yolk
- Order Bun Bo hue, pho and vermicelli from Pho Dau Bo
- Shop jewelry from Cinder & Sage
- Order ceramic gifts from Quinspired
- Get some lovely French macarons from Ollia Macarons & Tea
- Buy something pretty at Adorn Boutique
- Shop a collective of Calgary businesses at Ninth and Brick
- Get spring rolls, rice bowls, and stir-fry from Pure Kitchen & Bar
- Shop (or bid through a live online auction) Kate Hewko clothing
- Get unique jewelry and accessories delivered by Think Stunning
- Try some fried chicken from Cluck and Cleaver
- Order comforting Chinese food from Fat Kee Noodle House
- Shop the Peacock Boutique
- Get pick-up or delivery of fresh food from market-style restaurant Cravings
- Grab sustainably farmed meats from Spragg’s Meat Shop
- Order brunch to-go from Monki Bistro
- Get cheese buns, cakes and other treats from The Glamorgan Bakery
- Get craft beer delivered to you from Citizen Brewing Company
- Find the perfect pin, card and other gifts from Hop & Flop
- Order wine plus a tasty rotating menu from Bar Von Der Fels
- Get ramen to-go from Ramen Ichinen
- Order coffee from Analog Coffee
- Grab sweet and savoury pies from Pie Junkie
- Order DIY crafts delivered to your door by Pinnovate
- Shop prints from Art + Alexander
- Get pizza to-go from Matador Pizza
- Pick up some pretty and delicious treats in the yellow house boutique of Yann Haute Patisserie
- Get some Ikemen Ramen
- Buy artwork from Jill Weston
- Get craft beer delivered from Cold Garden Beverage Company
- Pick up comfort food to go from Brasserie Kensington
- Get your groceries and tasty prepared meals from Sunterra Market
- Shop at Canary Goods refillery and zero waste market
- Order free books and get them delivered from Owl’s Nest Books
- Purchase a gift card to support staff of Nights & Weekends
- Get local gourmet food, frozen or ready to heat meals and more from Forage
- Get amazing hand-cut paper art from Catfriendo Papercuts
- Shop beautiful glass jewelry, terrariums and other gifts from Glimpse Glass
- Order Italian comfort food from Cotto