Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- The University of Southern California is offering a Google Glass journalism course. “This platform is so new, no one has defined what journalism looks like on there. It’s such an opportunity for the journalism industry to jump on there.”
- Want more diverse emojis? Apple pledges to create more ractically diverse smilies after a Miley Cyrus tweet. Cool! While we’re add it, can we add a puking face emoji? I am always frustrated when I try to go find a puking face emoji and it doesn’t exist. lol
- Twitter continues to have a Facebook identity crisis. They’re changing the ‘Retweet’ button to say ‘Share’ instead.
- That comes on the heels of Twitter letting you tag people in your tweets and you can add 4 photos per tweet too. So basically, a Facebook status update.
- Can’t forget this one too – Twitter really is rolling out its Facebook-looking Twitter profiles. Here’s what mine looks like. I actually don’t mind the look but that’s because I’m used to it… because it’s Facebook. I also am annoyed because it’s a slow roll-out (on mobile devices as well) and since the “Cover photo” dimensions are so different than current header/background images, this is really going to mess with branding for company profiles! Lol
- Social Media Breakfast on Instagram was last week. Check out the #SMBYEG stream on Twitter for a recap!
- Yahoo is trying to poach talent form YouTube. Just give up now Yahoo, lol.
- Oo. Microsoft has released Office for iPad. Check out this review. I can’t wait to tr this on my new iPad that I hope to get for my birthday in July. Lol
- Gmail is turning 10! Here’s a look back at the many different looks of our favourite email provider!
- Apparently 30% of U.S. adults get their news from their Facebook feed. I believe it!
- Mark Zuckerberg really wants to bring the Internet to everyone and says Drones, satellites and lasers can do that.
- Did you hear about this terrible trending hashtag? Critics want to #CancelColbert after ‘Ching-Chong Ding-Dong’ Asian stereotype joke. Seriously. You’re all stupid. #ColbertForever.
- Instagram says it has more than 200 million active Instagrammers each month! That’s the same as Twitter. Crazy.
- Back off government. Google says government requests are ‘up 120%’ in four years.
- Funny social media headline: Pinterest hacked with buttocks pics.
- More Apple iPhone 6 rumours: Sapphire screen, bigger display, two camera sensors. I’m excited!
- Wow! A Minnesota school is paying a student $70,000 after forcing her to hand over her Facebook and email passwords!
- If anyone wants to pay me $3,000 I would be happy to live-tweet your wedding, apparently that’s what the service is going for at the W Hotel in New York. lol.
- There are lots of great cat videos that circulate each week and I’d say this one on Bane Cat was the stand-out!
- Check out this week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 2, 6, 8, 9, 10, 15, 21, 22, 25, 28, and 32!!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!