Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- This is such an interesting article on the rise of YouTube, Vine, and social communities around video, but I wish he had gotten the fact about Vine right – it’s a 6 second video, not a 7 second video.
- Speaking of changes in TV… this upcoming Simpsons app/site is said to change the TV game forever. Interesting stuff.
- Did Facebook force you to download its Messenger app last week? It did for many, which also resulted in some terrible app ratings. 1 star across the board! (Can you give it a 0 star?)
- Twitter is testing a new ‘payments and shipping’ option in the settings of its Android app, suggesting it may soon launch a native shopping platform.
- Another thing Twitter is testing – Your Twitter feed may soon be filled with tweets from people you don’t follow. “Tossing in tweets from accounts they’re not interested in sounds like a quick way to upset users.” Yep!
- The power of listicles! Buzzfeed is now valued at $850 million with 550 employees – and it’s looking to grow even more. Which is all fine and good but can we stop with the sliding image posts?
- The latest social network to delve into private messaging is …. Pinterest! Uesrs can now share pins through messages, keeping conversations going without having to leave the site.
- Google wants websites people access from the search engine are secure so it’ll start rewarding sites with HTTPS security in search rankings!
- I can’t believe this… A man accidentally killed himself while posing for a selfie – with a gun pointed at his head. I really have no words.
- I couldn’t believe this when I first read it – a hotel fining guests $500 for bad online reviews. Now the hotel has apologized for that ridiculous policy and is now offering a 10% discount for future guests, lol.
- This interests me from a Google Street View/social media perspective but also a work perspective – more and more colleges/universities are getting added to Google Street View, including four new Canadian univeristies! Will NAIT be next?
- Did you know Apple has no Twitter or Facebook account? Hardly a social media presence at all. That could change, now that Apple has hired the former social media chief at Nike and Burberry.
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 2, 3, 7, 10, 11, 19, 28, 34, and 36!!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!