Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- I’ll always get some people who say ‘really? that’s needed?’ when I talk about ‘How to Tweet’ or Twitter for Beginner courses, but there is a need out there! Read this very interesting article on NYPD officers taking classes on how to tweet – learning about what the social network is and how to use it effectively. Tips they’re learning include using ‘dad humour, hashtags, and sharing animal rescues.’ “A lot of people seem to like when you post kittens or dogs.” I also love that they specifically advise officers not to share photos of naked men. LOL!
- A reminder of how scheduling posts (and not remembering when or what you’ve scheduled) can lead to big social media blunders. Joan Rivers’ Facebook Page accidentally promotes new iPhones (after her death).
- Twitter’s latest mobile app update puts the focus on function over fashion (as my friend Devin says lol) – bringing out the profile photo and bio, having the header photo standalone (which will be good for designers), and for some reason moving Favourites up high.
- Some interesting (but obvious) research on TV and live-tweeting: TV show talent tweeting during show broadcasts have a real impact on ratings and overall engagement, so why aren’t more network heads making their talent do this?
- Creating a Google+ account is no longer mandatory when you create a Gmail account – a sign that may show Google is moving away from promoting or even developing new features for G+. Why do all Google social networks/projects seem to fail?
- If you’ve been following this drama, Facebook says it won’t budge on its real-name policy for gay/transgender accounts.
- Good read on moving away from Facebook Connect/login for everything. (Because that is really annoying!)
- They scoff and they scoff but this’ll shush them: Apple sells 10 million iPhones over opening weekend. Three days – 72 hours … they sold 38 iPhones per second this weekend. Wowza.
- This article doesn’t really sound all that promising but, you guys, Google Glasses could soon be available in Canada!
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 2, 4, 5, 10, 21, 25, 28 and 31!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!