Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& sometimes tech) news. Come back weekly for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- We got a glimpse into the world of paid celebrity social media endorsements this week, when Scott Disick accidentally copied and pasted his instructions for posting about a weight loss supplement into the post caption. It highlights an important topic: disclosure and transparency – in this age of social media influencers
- They’ve been talking about it for months but it looks like Instagram’s new algorithm has arrived. It will show you photos and videos in non-chronological order, instead based on different factors like how engaged you are with the poster, timing, likes and comments, etc. (similar to Facebook)
- Instagram’s new Business profiles (with analytics / ‘Insights’) are also being rolled out. First in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand, before going global before end of year. (Surprised Canada isn’t in the initial roll-out)
- A positive feature for someone like me – who has Video ‘A.D.D.’ (attention deficit disorder). Facebook will let you skip to the most interesting part of livestreamed playback videos
- Some big social networks including Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube have pledged to review requests for removing hateful content within 24 hours. It’s part of a crackdown in Europe against rising online racism
- Soon we will only speak in emoji – The Bible has been translated into emojis. For just $2.99, you can get 3,282 pages of emoji-translated Bible goodness. Prayer hands. Smiling face with halo. etc. I don’t know about you but I definitely struggle trying to read sentences riddled with emojis
- Snapchat now has more daily active users than Twitter! 150 million people are using the app daily
- Snapchat is also redesigning its Discover page – the space where brands pay hundreds of thousands of dollars (like, a day) to be potentially exposed to those 150 million users. I personally never click into Discover. Do you?
- Check out 72 new emojis that will be available starting June 21 including bacon, a shrugging girl (I’m sure that will be my new favourite), avocado, sharks, and more!
- Have you noticed people changing their Twitter display names to include these ((( ))) brackets. This is why.
- STILL don’t have Facebook Messenger? You’ll have to soon – otherwise you won’t be able to message your friends on mobile
- LOL. Mark Zuckberg’s password is “dadada.” Thus, his accounts were hacked over the weekend
- Here’s the week’s Cat Saturday photos! My favourites are 2, 3, 7, 9, 24, and 27!
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!