Published online at CTVEdmonton.ca on May 21, 2012.
Linda Hoang, CTV Edmonton: Monday, May 21, 2012
Lettuce, salad recall expanded due to Listeria contamination
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency, along with Sobeys Inc. are warning Canadians not to consume certain Compliments and Sensations brand salads or in-store foods containing lettuce that may be contaminated with Listeria.
The lettuce may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
The contamination may be present in products sold in IGA or Sobeys stores in Alberta, B.C., Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario.
There have been no reported illnesses as a result of consuming the lettuce.
Sobeys is voluntarily recalling the products.
Canadians who do consume contaminated products may get listeriosis, a foodborne illness that can cause high fever, severe headaches, neck stiffness and nausea.
This is part of a larger expanded recall of retail and food service salads initiated by River Ranch Fresh Foods from California, with distribution to Canada.
The following salad products bearing Best Before dates May 12 to May 29 are just some of the products affected by the CFIA health hazard alert:
- Compliments brand Garden Supreme, 340 g
- Compliments brand Simply Romaine, 454 g
- Compliments brand Harvest Romaine, 284 g
- Compliments brand American Blend, 340 g
- Compliments brand Coleslaw, 454 g
- Sensations brand Santa Fe Supreme Salad Kit, 333 g
- Sensations brand Asian Supreme Salad Kit, 220 g