I was on vacation, hence the lack of Clicks of the Day. Sorry if you’ve missed it! ;)
- FBI probes hacking of NBC News’ Twitter account
“The FBI is investigating the NBC News Twitter account hacking committed by perpetrators who posted bogus information about the hijacking of a civilian airliner that supposedly crashed into Ground Zero in New York.”
Craaazy. The fake tweets were retweeted by hundreds of users! Good warning for not believing everything you see on Twitter – even if it’s posted by a credible news source.
- Choppergate: News director resigns and Nine fires three journalists for faking live crosses
“Three journalists involved in faking a live cross to the Nine News chopper have tonight been fired, and the network’s Queensland news director Lee Anderson has resigned.”
What a crazy story! Wow, talk about unethical.
- [Infographic]: Internet of Yesterday & Today: 1996 vs. 2011
Average web usage for Americans in 1996 = a half hour per month. In 2001 = 27 hours per month. That’s quite the jump lol. Funny infographic too because of how ugly the 1996 fonts and colours are, LOL. Good information though!
- Apple And Amazon Break Up E-Books Into Solid-Gold Nuggets
“This week Apple introduced a collection of new short-form “books,” called Quick Reads, that are like short stories, long articles or packs of recipes, priced at just a fraction of the cost of what users pay for a full volume. Amazon introduced a similar concept back in January 2011 with Kindle Singles–essays, short stories and other quick reads priced from one to three dollars.”
I don’t know, I am not likely to pay for a short story or a long article, lol.
- [Infographic]: How Life Changed Since 9/11
“You probably never looked good in your passport photo, but since August 2003, you’re also not allowed to look happy.”
“Not only is joking about terrorism in poor taste, it’s also illegal.”
.. etc. Great interactive infographic! Basically the world’s gotten a lot more Big Brothery.
- Woman Jailed Due to Calling Ex-Boyfriend 65,000 Times
“A 42-year-old woman is being charged by Dutch prosecutors for allegedly phone stalking her ex-boyfriend by calling him 65,000 times!!! To call that many times within one year, she had to have called his phone approximately 178 times a day!”
Wow. What a winner!
- Farm dog suckles piglets in Cuba
“Yeti the dog already had a litter of pups to care for when the piglets adopted her as a second mom. Ever since then, the Cuban farm dog has been pulling double-duty, nursing not just her own young but also the 14 swine.”
That’s a little weird but… cute?
- McDonald’s Canada To Spend $1 Billion Renovating Stores: Leather Furniture, Fireplaces Planned
“McDonald’s is spending $1 billion to renovate all its Canadian locations in an effort to make its restaurants look cozier, raising the stakes in Canada’s quick-service wars.”
Fancy! Next big date night spot?
- Goodbye for Now – Thanking You Since 2009
Sad day for Edmonton media! The Edmontonian says goodbye. What a great impact they’ve had on Edmontonians on Edmonton media! I also want to thank Jeff/Sally for crossposting the 3 Feature Stories I did for my website. Very nice of them to do and it always drove up traffic numbers on my site. They rock!
- Limited Registration Begins for .XXX Domains
“Hoping to nab a .xxx domain name—or avoid having your trademark show up on the adult-centric network? Now is your chance. The ICM Registry today kicked off a sunrise period that lets trademark holders claim certain domains before .xxx is open to the public.”
- Facebook doubles first-half revenue
“Facebook’s revenue doubled to $1.6 billion in 2011’s first half. Net income in the first half of 2011 came to almost $500 million.”
Raking in the big bucks.
- Twitter and Bing Renew Social Search Partnership
“Twitter and Bing have renewed their real-time search partnership.”
Who even uses Bing?!?!
- Firing Laser Beams Could Make It Rain
“Scientists at the University of Geneva have successfully tested out a rainmaking technique triggered by shooting laser beams into the sky.”
Weird. But we shouldn’t try and control weather. STOP PLAYING GOD, PEOPLE.
- [Photos]: At Ground Zero Site, One Quiet Night Before the Anniversary
- New College Graduates Fare Better In Job Market As Earlier Classes Struggle
“2011’s college graduates are finding the job market a bit more welcoming than the class before them did — a trend made possible by high corporate profits this year, one of the few sectors of the economy to perform strongly in recent months.”
- Target Canada: Retailer Plans To Hire ‘Thousands’ Ahead Of Canadian Expansion
“Retailer Target has started a hiring blitz in advance of its 2013 launch in Canada, promising to hire “thousands” of Canadians as the iconic U.S. chain opens stores north of the border.”
Yay, economy boost!
- Global Edmonton Morning News
The new micro-site for Global Edmonton Morning News looks great! Looking forward to seeing how the blogging pans out, lol.
- Adobe Brings Flash-Free Flash To iOS Devices
Sorry Apple competition, you ain’t got no advantage now, lol.
- Twitter hits 100 million active users
“Twitter has 100 million active users, the company said in a blog post Thursday, and about 50 million log in every day.”
Woot woot. Growth spurt!
- Majority of Canadians living paycheque to paycheque
“Most Canadians are living paycheque to paycheque, with 57 per cent saying they would be in dire financial straits if their pay was delayed by as little as one week.”
Sad truth. I’m lumped into that group.
- Teaching 9/11: A Decade Later, What Do Textbooks Say?
Interesting read and interesting topic. One of the first things I thought when 9/11 was happening was – Wow, this is going to be in textbooks one day. (Seriously, I’m a nerd lol). Interesting now that it’s at the point where it actually would be in textbooks.
- Kienan Hebert found safe, returned by suspect: police
How amazing is that?! I was sure the kid was goner… as sad as that sounds, it just wasn’t looking good. So happy this didn’t turn into a terribly sad story.
- [Video] Cat Watches Cat Watching Cat Watching Nyan Cat
LOL it’s what it sounds like. Haha!!
- Today’s Big Thing: The Worst Penalty Kick Ever
Oh my god, lol. Fail.
- Duck becomes man’s best friend
“Barrie Hayman has a new best friend – an 11 week-old duck that follows him everywhere he goes.”
Thor always wants me to take her to work in my lunch bag, lol.