This page was last updated: October 2016.
ABOUT LINDA HOANG
Who I am:
- I am a Digital Strategist (social media strategist) at Edmonton communications agency Calder Bateman
- I am a freelance social media consultant/speaker (email me for rates/inquiries!)
- I am an Edmonton food, lifestyle and social media blogger (email me to inquire about blog partnerships/sponsorships!)
- I am the founder of the Edmonton International Cat Festival, the first festival of its kind in Canada
- I appear regularly as a guest panelist on the pop culture panel of Alberta Primetime, a news and current affairs show on CTV2, which broadcasts across Alberta and is also available across the country via satellite
- I am a multi-platform storyteller / freelance journalist
- I am a wife and mother to three fur children – my two cats Thor and Loki and two dogs Olive and Artie!
What I do:
- Personally, I am all over social media! I love to tweet and Instagram and read up on all the latest social media news
- For Calder Bateman, I am all over social! I plan and develop social media strategies for clients, help them execute/social media management or advise on social media approach, supporting campaigns. I also offer social media training and do website strategy and development work, social media advertising, and expertise in search engine optimization, blogging and influencer marketing.
- I do freelance, customized social media training, consulting and speaking (book me for your next event!)
- Along with sharing food reviews and social media news, I also do a lot of event recap/lifestyle and travel blogging
- I am always eating and trying new food/restaurants and then posting about those experiences on social media
- I’m in the community. I like to volunteer for different non-profit organizations, and I love attending different events and exploring my city
- For the Edmonton International Cat Festival, I plan and execute a festival celebrating cats and cat culture, bringing together cat lovers, while raising money and awareness for non-profit animal shelters and cat rescue organizations which work to improve the welfare of homeless cats!
- I try to approach all aspects of work and life with enthusiasm and positivity. You’ll probably find me smiling or laughing most of the time!
- I have a background in news/media (print and broadcast) but my personal passions for social media led me to doing it for a living!
- I graduated from the Journalism program at MacEwan University and Television Broadcasting from NAIT
- I have written, reported, video edited, and produced for a number of news organizations in Edmonton, including the Edmonton Sun, the Edmonton Journal, Metro Edmonton, Global Edmonton, and CTV Edmonton
- Before Calder Bateman, I worked for three years as the Digital Communications Specialist (social media strategist) for NAIT (the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology), building out their online brand and social networks, running a number of social media campaigns for various internal clients, offering social media training to hundreds of staff and helping advise and develop social media strategy for a number of the schools.
- I was also a web reporter for CTV, writing news stories for the web and managing/posting to CTV’s social media channels. I also worked to create a more social culture within the newsroom
- I am self-taught when it comes to social media, web design, graphic design, and generally most computer tools or online platforms. I am very versatile and learn quickly
- Through the Edmonton International Cat Festival, I’ve learned event planning from the ground up! It’s been an amazing experience working with local cat rescue organizations too
- I used to write a weekly Social Media Column for the Edmonton Sun. Now I continue telling local social media stories through this blog
- My work growing the social media program at NAIT has gotten some attention – since I started in 2013, NAIT has received CASEVII Communications/Social Media Awards (Silver and Bronze) for our Back to School Instagram campaigns (2013 and 2014), we’ve been named the most retweeted college/polytechnic in Canada (2014), and in 2015 we were named the second most mentioned post-secondary Twitter account in Canada.
- I have grown my online presence and personal brand over the years, and currently have 11,000+ Twitter followers and 5,000+ Instagram followers. I love using social media to interact and engage with like-minded and interesting people both locally and around the globe and I love the different opportunities and relationships social media leads to!
- I was a top student, graduating with honours and distinction in Journalism, as well as TV Broadcasting, with an overall 3.9 GPA
Follow me on social media!
I try to be consistent with my blog but you’ll find much more recent updates, mini food reviews, food porn/inspiration, social media links/tips, etc., by following me on social media:
ABOUT THIS WEBSITE
Linda-Hoang.Com serves as my blog and online portfolio, featuring posts about food, lifestyle, social media and more. The website started as a one-stop source for my side websites, projects, forums, blogs, etc. and has grown into more of a food and lifestyle/event review blog, along with social media source – highlighting the latest in social media news as well as interesting local people doing interesting things using social media.
THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD
In early 2009, I took part in a global competition called The Best Job in the World. Beating out nearly 35,000 applicants worldwide, I made it into the Best Job’s Top 50 Candidates. After a whirlwind of local, national and international media interviews and campaigning for global votes, I ended up being the 15th Most Voted Top 50 Candidate in the competition. Unfortunately as those who moved onto the next round were not selected strictly based on votes, I wasn’t chosen to move onto the next round of the Best Job.
While I received many local and international media coverage during my stint with The Best Job in the World, many of the links online are now broken. I hope to restore and re-post them sometime in the future.
For more information, contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the other sections on this website!