This page was last updated: June 2015.
ABOUT LINDA HOANG
Who I am:
- I am a social media specialist at NAIT (the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology)
- I am a freelance social media consultant/speaker (email me for rates/inquiries!)
- I am an Edmonton food, lifestyle and social media blogger (email me to inquire about blog partnerships/sponsorships!)
- I am the founder of the Edmonton International Cat Festival, the first festival of its kind in Canada
- I appear regularly as a panelist on the pop culture panel of Alberta Primetime, a news and current affairs show on CTV2, which broadcasts across Alberta and is also available across the country via satellite
- I am a multi-platform storyteller / freelance journalist
- I am a wife and mother to three fur children – my two cats Thor and Loki and my beagle Olive!
What I do:
- Personally, I am all over social media! I love to tweet and Instagram and read up on all the latest social media news
- For NAIT, I am all over social media! I plan and publish to a number of social platforms on behalf of the school. I embody the voice and the brand of NAIT on social. I develop social media strategies, support campaigns, offer regular social media training for staff and write for the internal newsletter and external techlifemag online/print publication
- I do freelance, customized social media training, consulting and speaking
- I am always eating and trying new food/restaurants and then posting about those experiences on social media
- I’m in the community. I like to volunteer for different non-profit organizations, and I love attending different events and exploring my city
- For the Edmonton International Cat Festival, I plan and execute a festival celebrating cats and cat culture, bringing together cat lovers, while raising money and awareness for non-profit animal shelters and cat rescue organizations which work to improve the welfare of homeless cats!
- I try to approach all aspects of work and life with enthusiasm and positivity. You’ll probably find me smiling or laughing most of the time!
- I have a background in news/media (print and broadcast)
- I graduated from the Journalism program at MacEwan University and Television Broadcasting from NAIT
- I have written, reported, video edited, and produced for a number of news organizations in Edmonton, including the Edmonton Sun, the Edmonton Journal, Metro Edmonton, Global Edmonton, and CTV Edmonton
- Prior to my jump to communications at NAIT, I was a web reporter for CTV, writing news stories for the web and managing/posting to CTV’s social media channels. I also worked to create a more social culture within the newsroom
- I am self-taught when it comes to social media, web design, graphic design, and generally most computer tools or online platforms. I am very versatile and learn quickly
- I used to write a weekly Social Media Column for the Edmonton Sun. Now I continue telling local social media stories through this blog
- My work growing the social media program at NAIT has gotten some attention – since I started in 2013, NAIT has received CASEVII Communications/Social Media Awards (Silver and Bronze) for our Back to School Instagram campaigns (2013 and 2014), we’ve been named the most retweeted college/polytechnic in Canada (2014), and in 2015 we were named the second most mentioned post-secondary Twitter account in Canada.
- I have grown my online presence and personal brand over the years, and currently have 9,000+ Twitter followers and 2,000+ Instagram followers. I love using social media to interact and engage with like-minded and interesting people both locally and around the globe and I love the different opportunities and relationships social media leads to!
- I was a top student, graduating with honours and distinction in Journalism, as well as TV Broadcasting, with an overall 3.9 GPA
ABOUT THIS WEBSITE
Linda-Hoang.Com serves as my blog and online portfolio, featuring posts about food, lifestyle, social media and more. The website started as a one-stop source for my side websites, projects, forums, blogs, etc. and has grown into more of a food and lifestyle/event review blog, along with social media source – highlighting the latest in social media news as well as interesting local people doing interesting things using social media.
THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD
In early 2009, I took part in a global competition called The Best Job in the World. Beating out nearly 35,000 applicants worldwide, I made it into the Best Job’s Top 50 Candidates. After a whirlwind of local, national and international media interviews and campaigning for global votes, I ended up being the 15th Most Voted Top 50 Candidate in the competition. Unfortunately as those who moved onto the next round were not selected strictly based on votes, I wasn’t chosen to move onto the next round of the Best Job.
While I received many local and international media coverage during my stint with The Best Job in the World, many of the links online are now broken. I hope to restore and re-post them sometime in the future.
For more information, contact Linda at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the other sections on this website!