Here’s a bit about who I am and what I do:
- I am a Digital Strategist (social media strategist) at Edmonton communications agency Calder Bateman
- I am a freelance social media consultant/speaker (email me for rates/inquiries!)
- I am an Edmonton food, lifestyle, travel, and pets blogger (email me to inquire about blog partnerships/sponsorships!)
- I am the founder of the Edmonton International Cat Festival, the first festival of its kind in Canada
- I appear regularly as a guest panelist on the pop culture panel of Alberta Primetime, a news and current affairs show on CTV2, which broadcasts across Alberta and is also available across the country via satellite
- I do a social media strategy podcast called Don’t Call Me a Guru with @tylerjackbutler
- My background is in journalism/television broadcasting. I love storytelling across platforms!
- I am a wife and mother to four fur children – my two cats Thor and Loki and two dogs Olive and Artie!
- I am the founder of the Instagrammable Walls of Edmonton Photo Walks and have been mapping out Instagrammable Walls of various cities I visit!
- I LOVE social media! Not only do I do it for a living, but it’s always been my personal hobby.
- My social media expertise includes planning and developing social media strategies for clients, helping execute plans and campaigns, providing social media management or consultations on social media approach. I offer social media training both beginner, advanced, and always customized for your needs! I do website strategy and development work (site/content mapping and user experience), social media marketing (paid advertising), along with blogging and influencer marketing. I also am self-taught in web and graphic design, and have experience shooting and editing videos. I have years of experience working with a range of clients – on development and management of social media strategies for newsrooms, post-secondaries, businesses, and non-profits, including training and delivering workshop for hundreds of participants.
- I LOVE FOOD! My blog focuses have varied over the years but primarily I focus on food, pets, travel/events and lifestyle topics. I love to explore my community and find gems in other communities. I regularly partner with local and national brands to help share their story and engage audiences through sponsorships, giveaways and experiences. Today, my blog posts are often about places or things I’m a fan of, that make me happy (and that might make you happy!) that I want to highlight.
- For the Edmonton International Cat Festival, I plan and execute a one-of-a-kind festival celebrating cats and cat culture, bringing together cat lovers, while raising money and awareness for non-profit animal shelters and cat rescue organizations which work to improve the welfare of homeless cats! Over 4 events, we’ve raised $80,000 for local rescues. We get between 2,000-3,000 attendees per event.
Even more background:
- As mentioned, my formal education is in news/media (print and broadcast) but my personal passions for social media led me to doing it for a living! I graduated from the Journalism program at MacEwan University and Television Broadcasting from NAIT.
- I have written, reported, video edited, and produced for a number of news organizations in Edmonton, including the Edmonton Sun, the Edmonton Journal, Metro Edmonton, Global Edmonton, and CTV Edmonton.
- Before Calder Bateman, I worked for three years as the Digital Communications Specialist (social media strategist) for NAIT (the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology), building out their online brand and social networks, running a number of social media campaigns for various internal clients, offering social media training to hundreds of staff and helping advise and develop social media strategy for a number of the schools. I’m proud to say my work in social media at NAIT has won numerous awards.
- I was also a web reporter for CTV, writing news stories for the web and managing/posting to CTV’s social media channels. I also worked to create a more social culture within the newsroom.
- I am self-taught when it comes to social media, web design, graphic design, and generally most computer tools or online platforms. I am very versatile and learn quickly!
- Through the Edmonton International Cat Festival, I’ve acquired skills in event planning from the ground up! It’s been an amazing experience working with local cat rescue organizations too.
- I was a top student, graduating with honours and distinction in Journalism, as well as TV Broadcasting, with an overall 3.9 GPA in both programs. I’m a proud nerd (hence the nickname: lin”dork”!)
- I have grown my online presence and personal brand over the years, authentically and organically and currently have 14,000+ Twitter followers and 9,000+ Instagram followers. I love using social media to interact and engage with like-minded and interesting people both locally and around the globe and I love the different opportunities and relationships social media leads to!
Follow me on social media!
I try to be consistent with my blog but you’ll find much more recent updates, mini food reviews, food porn/inspiration, social media links/tips, etc., by following me on social media:
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org!