Social Media Notes
Here’s this week’s round-up of social media (& tech) news. Come by each week for what I hope to be a fun & informative blog post on social stories that caught my eye throughout the week!
- Lol… because apparently most people are idiots. Facebook is testing a satire tag to help users spot fake news.
- Twitter keeps on giving us notifications about things we don’t want to know about, now add tweets that people you’re following are favouriting to the list.
- Popular kids encouraged to have more conversations with each other ( Twitter verified users will start seeing more tweets from other verified users).
- A new report says social media monitoring of employees will become more commonplace over the next decade.
- Twitter is testing out promoted video ads, meanwhile I feel like all news organizations are trying to bombard me with video. Sometimes (most of the time) I just want to scan some text and get bits of the story quickly. I do not have time for your videos!!
- Twitter is looking at changing its policies, including improving support for family members of deceased users, after trolls drove Robin Williams’ daughter offline.
- Microsoft has released its version of Snapchat, called WindUp. It lets you send time-limited messages to friends. #yawn
- Creative uses of Vine continue to amaze me. Here’s a bunch of food art Vines.
- This intrigues me because, let’s face it who doesn’t love GIFs? New app Camoji lets you create your own animated GIFs and send through iMessage.
- I’m sure you’ve seen tons of these videos on your social feeds over the past week so I will just link to this round-up of some of the best ice bucket challenge videos. I am impressed it’s actually raising money for ALS and isn’t just a stupid video trend.
- A powerful hashtag trending last week… #IfTheyGunnedMeDown confronts how minority deaths are portrayed in the media. Media need to be responsible. I’ve always wondered if I died unexpectedly, what photo would be used. (A grim thing to think about it, but I do wonder!)
- The heartwarming Apple commercial that was shot in Edmonton last year won a Creative Emmy over the weekend!
- Did you see this week’s Cat Saturday photos?! My favourites are 3, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, 21, 25, 26 and 31!! Also, wow at the Meow Mix Song, lol.
Thoughts on these stories? Tweet @ me or leave a comment below!